Aug 29, 2009

Confessions of a Loner

I spent all day alone. Reading, writing, staying in my head. I know the next long while will be much of the same thing. I like spending time alone. Being solitary is an integral part of who I am. Ever since I can remember, I have always needed "alone time." I was this way as a child up to the time puberty hit; but even then, if I did not have enough time to myself I would get frustrated. I was not the type of teenager that could hang out with friends all day; I would always make some excuse to go be by myself. But as time passes, I realize alone time is not as accessible as it used to be. My job entails interaction with many people. As does my social circle (though I've cut this down considerably). I know part of the reason for my loner tendencies has to do with my nerdery; I love acquiring knowledge, I love sitting with my thoughts. But I've recently realized a lot of it has to do with people's energies. I am incredibly intuitive, and have been since I was young. I pick up energies without realizing it (though in the last few years I have become more aware). This gift is indeed a blessing and I'm thankful for it. But the flipside is that it can drain me at times. This is why alone time is so important to me. It helps me center myself. Though I am learning to block energies, and gotten better at it, I still need the time alone. That is the only way for me to stay grounded and be able to maintain focus on the things that matter.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nadia said...

yes i know what you're talking about. i'm really sensitive to other people's energy, and i can take on things from them or they can take energy from me. i even catch other people's stomachaches and pains. with u.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

wow! i just came across your blog and this entry definitely struck a cord with me because i am EXACTLY like how you described yourself. i'm still coming to terms with my introverted ways because unfortunately, the society we live in isn't too keen on people like us. :-(

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you!

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.