Nov 1, 2008

Psychedelic Operatic Goth Metal Vibes



In the spirit of Halloween, my roommate and I watched Dario Argento's, Inferno (1980). Classic Horror Cinema? Yes. But not classic in the traditional sense.
If you're into the smashing of traditional narrative trajectories, the blurring of real and hallucinatory, bizarre imagery, disjunction, dislocation, incoherence, all coated with a pungent Gothic flavor, then this is your movie. But as scary as the film was, nothing disturbed me more than the overt misogyny. It's a shame that such brilliance goes hand in hand with shit gender politics.

Watch the film though (or any of Argento's other flicks, namely the masterpiece, Suspiria). If not for any of the above, then for the crazy ass soundtracks.

5 Comments:

Blogger pomegranate queen said...

FYI: Goblin is the Italian progressive rock band responsible for most of the Argento film soundtracks.

8:29 PM  
Blogger El Mahboob said...

I haven't been daring enough, but I think my friend Petri and I gonna be watching one of Argento's films soon. I totally hear you on the conflict of politics and art here. I love DePalma's B-classic Sisters with Margot Kidder, though it's misogynist, racist and sanist.

8:56 PM  
Blogger pomegranate queen said...

lol good to know i'm not the only one who has the guilty pleasure of watching these types of movies.

as for the bad politics, it's the same with some of the comics i enjoy. I had to stop reading Y-the Last Man because of it's zionist, racist, imperialist crap.
i'm having a hard time putting down The Walking Dead, but the race politics is problematic, to say the least.

I have yet to watch Sisters! next rental.

10:02 PM  
Blogger birdapres said...

Goblin slays...Suspiria is one of my favorite soundtracks ever. Did you see them when they played Toronto a few weeks ago?

7:27 PM  
Blogger pomegranate queen said...

nah man i missed it! damn. if anyone would know it'd be you! :)

10:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.