Aug 25, 2008

Bike Boy

I went to pick up my bike today after work. It had been sitting in the bike shop for over two months. I had taken it for a tune up just before my trip, not knowing I would be overextending my travels. The guys from the shop called me a couple of times while I was away, wondering where the hell I was. I felt bad since their little bike shop didn't have a lot of space. But knowing they'd be making money off storage fees lessened my guilt. I approached the shop and suddenly got self conscious. I remembered the cute guy who worked there. Nerdy Bike Boy with green eyes and beautiful tattoos all over his arms. I smoothed my fringe bangs and put my straightened hair into a pony tail. I walked a few steps, stopped, and took my hair out. I looked at my reflection in a parked car window. I wasn't yet used to my new haircut. I slowly made my way to the front of the store, discreetly, but Bike Boy came right out and greeted me. By my first name (which to my surprise he pronounced perfectly). We chatted while he got the bike. He kept asking me questions about my trip, extending the conversation. I held it together. Didn't stutter or trip over myself. Except for one dorky comment about his tattoos being "beautiful." (God. Who says that??)

The shop owner ended up giving me a deal. All the while watching my interaction with Bike Boy. The flirting was over the top. Or was it? I don't know. I just remember playing with my hair so much it started to frizz. We all talked for a while longer, I told them about my writing. They talked about bikes. Eventually I made my way out the shop, walking my bike slowly, steady. And a few steps onto the street, Bike Boy ran out and told me I should come back in a week so he could oil the chain again. I smiled and said thanks. And I continued walking. Slow. Steady. Trying not to trip. But knowing damn well how bad I was tripping. I don't know what I am so afraid of. When I became so hesitant. When I became an impediment to myself. All I know is at that moment, in that instant of instability, shaky legs and all, I felt alive. I felt good.

13 Comments:

Blogger Shirin said...

"oil your chain????" That's a metaphor if I've ever heard one :)

11:51 AM  
Blogger Anthony said...

You're thinking you're a nerd for calling his tattoos beautiful - and he's smacking himself on the forehead for asking you if he can oil your chain.

You both should have just asked each other out and gotten it over with, nerd. :)

11:54 AM  
Blogger pomegranate queen said...

you two are hilarious! :)

3:47 PM  
Blogger El Mahboob said...

That's such. a sweet story PQ! A bike boy once told me about my tires, "The harder you get, the better you'll cruise." True, but not as sweet. :/

11:26 PM  
Blogger pomegranate queen said...

oh my!!! that's quite the statement he made!!

11:58 PM  
Blogger kompoStella said...

i think i recognize the "Slowly. Steady" part! all your energy going into a simple thing such as walking, which is suddenly not simple at all... your story made me smile.

2:50 PM  
Blogger @laura_luna said...

I love these moments in life when we feel most 'alive'. May you have many many more!

blessings
LL

3:59 PM  
Blogger Lenoxave said...

How lovely. Isn't it funny that for all our so-called maturity, we are reduced to childhood with those we are attracted to? Isn't life beautiful?

12:39 AM  
Blogger pomegranate queen said...

thanks kompostella, it's all about taking steps. even the shaky ones :)

fab fierce femme, girl i love those moments too. they can be so rare when one is closed.

sdg1844, you are SO right about the childhood thing. and it's truly beautiful when that happens!

1:26 AM  
Blogger PretaMulatta said...

that flirting, those feelings are the fire that keeps us warm.

go with it. it's harmless.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i wanna know which bike shop this was! cuz um, my bike does need fixin'. (it actually does. something happened to seat post.) don't worry, i won't hit on mr. "oil your chain?" (if he had any sense, he would have said, "lube your chain?" *cough*) or anything like that.

but anyway yes, there are lots of hot boys in bike culture. you should go to critical mass. :D (there was one yesterday.)

4:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful to read a story of you feeling so alive! Can't wait for updates.

11:50 AM  
Blogger pomegranate queen said...

preta, thanks for your comment. and for stopping by my page. just checked your blog. look forward to your words. peace.

lin! hahaha, yes. what you say is true. i should stop by critical mass. ;)

glued blue glass!! was about to check your blog just now. hope all is good.

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.