Jul 1, 2008

A Reminder

I ask him for directions. Boy with a gorgeous tattoo of a skeletal hand holding an old school microphone, inked on the left side of his neck. He told me to take the bus north. He was going that way. To the studio. He's working on a sick beat, he tells me. We talk music til we reach my stop. He asks if he can join me, whatever it is I'm doing. He thinks I'm mad cool. I don't mind. I like his skateboard. We get to the grocery store and he helps me find rye bread and dried apricots. He grabs a pack of jelly beans. I'll walk you back, he insists. His dark eyes, uncomfortably contrast against his translucent eyelashes and brows. Something disturbing, like an overgrown inked up cherub. Ok, I tell him. We begin moving. One step after another. He is young. Early 20's young, but with stories of someone who's lived a heavy life. Abandoned by his mom as a kid, father locked up, slept in dumpsters, rhymed on stage with Jeru, survived a stabbing in the neck, and went backpacking across the U.S. with no money. He's kicked it with Prince backstage because the artist loved his shirt (a self-made tee saying "WE ARE EVERYBODY-I LOVE YOU" in jean stitching). He works at a youth shelter for little money. He plays instruments, paints murals, writes poetry, and hopes to die doing something that matters. And he beat boxes with a harmonica.

We get to the corner of my block. Move to a sheltered area with a bench and sit cross legged across from each another. He lights a smoke and pauses. Tell me your stories, he says. So I tell him. Everything. With every story, he lights another cigarette, like incense clearing air. I watch him watch me speak. His face expressing my experiences like he's been there with me all my life. Intense comfort. I stop and reach into my purse for an apricot. Silence. A haze of fog and cigarette smoke shrouds this moment. I'm not sure what is happening. I could be questioning all of this. Passing judgments. Analyzing. Instead, I look at his tattooed forearms which read "First" on one, and "Union" on the other. A recently converted Baptist. By chance. Because he did not bleed to death in the alley that night. Because he lived. Because the man who rehabilitated him took him to his church. Because he found love. For himself. Through something much bigger.

I unfold my palms as my body loosens, rocking to the rhythm of something unknown. Something happening right here, at this moment. With him. This pasty born again backpack rapper with inked up skin and a fucked up life. This embodiment of hope. Love. Faith.

Pure. His essence a reflection of myself. A reminder of all that's good.

It's late. We get up from the bench and walk back to the corner. I'm not sure what to say. What to do. So I say alhamdullillah, and embrace him. Then we walk our separate ways.

8 Comments:

Blogger Lenoxave said...

What a beautiful post & so indicative of the fragility & transience of life. It sounds like an amazing mtg btwn the 2 of you.

Oh, and happy belated 30th birthday to you.

1:15 AM  
Blogger Jamilah Malika said...

oh love, thank you for sharing that scene, you describe it beautifully "overgrown inked up cherub" - i'm sure he was as mesmerized as you and your presence meant as much to him as yours to him... this life always remembers to remind us to live... even when we forget. i'm glad you're away, though i can't wait to see you again. lovelovelove

4:25 PM  
Blogger parami10 said...

keep reading the signs, beautiful!

4:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a beautiful piece of writing queen

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thank you for shariing this story so beautifully.
We are resilient people!
I love when these rare encounters take place.
Thanks for visiting my blog by the way.
Lots has happened...oh and happy belated birthday too.
xoxo
fabulosa mujer

10:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this post!!! Thank you for your words. It all starts with asking for directions. New city. Exchange of energy. Just for a moment.

3:37 PM  
Blogger la rebelde said...

This is such a beautiful story! Thank you.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aw man, so beautiful. they bay area is good to you.

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.