Feb 1, 2008

I Used to Make Pause-Tapes But Now I'm an...

I just found out that Yusef Afloat, one of the emcees from The Nonce, is dead. He took his own life in 2000. There's not much else out there about it. In fact, there's not a whole lot out there about The Nonce. This group never got the recognition it deserved.

Yusef died eight years ago and I just found out today, randomly, while searching the net. That in itself, makes me real sad. He was a dope emcee. I played that first tape in my walkman a lot in '95. And I still listen to it. World Ultimate, takes me back to a time I often reminisce on. An incredible time of music, writing and creative inspiration. A time where I used to make pause-tapes...

This time was the beginning of so much for me.

I dedicate this post to Yusef Afloat,
R.I.P.


7 Comments:

Blogger parami10 said...

doooooooooooope track!!!

2:05 AM  
Blogger birdapres said...

I'm all over this kinda stuff right now. Unbelievable...

10:00 PM  
Blogger pomegranate queen said...

yeah this album was tight. i just wish people would stop making the comparison to Tribe and Midnight Mauraders when talking about this album and group itself. it's really annoying when people make fluffy comparisons like "oh, this is the west coast version of so and so". give it up already. they had their own sound. and besides, the jazzy horns shit was all over the place during that time.

did i just rant? i believe i did.

6:17 PM  
Blogger pomegranate queen said...

and bird, seriously, we're currently on the same music wavelength...crazy huh? but then again, did i ever really stop listening to that era of music? just like did i ever stop wearing hoop earrings and deep plum lip liners? i'm stuck in the 90s yo.

6:23 PM  
Blogger birdapres said...

I don't hear Tribe in this...

Maybe as a point of reference, but that whole Good Life thing took music to different places than their NY contemporaries. I love both though, and they mesh together nicely.

Adidas dresses for 09?

1:25 PM  
Blogger pomegranate queen said...

hahahaha! YES. adidas dresses for 09 homie! not to mention, girbaud jeans and silk shirts (preferibly plain, and not polkadot).

9:54 PM  
Blogger sophistiphunk said...

omg. i wanted an adidas dress SO BAD back in the day!!! i never did get one :(

12:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.