Aug 6, 2007

A Post-Snip Snip

I've had an intensely transitional few weeks and I feel I've entered a new phase of my life. It's scary. It's so real. And I feel so alive because of it. I wanted to mark this feeling aesthetically. I wanted to mark this transition on my body somehow. So I made an appointment to get my haircut.

I ended up having a horrible haircut experience. I don't want to get into it. But it was anything but celebratory of positive change. So, I took the matter into my own hands. Last night, I took the scissors to my head and chopped off more of my hair. I reclaimed the haircut. And it's mine now. Even if it is a bit crooked.

This couldn't have been more perfect. Anyone who knows me well, knows my scissoring fetish. I love cutting paper, fabric, flower stems, fingernails, cardboard boxes, old shirts, new shirts. But I love cutting hair the most. It's a snipping sensation unlike any.

So this is the shortest my hair's been in a while. It's poofed up in all it's frizzy coiled glory. It's saying I don't give a fuck. There's so much wrapped up in hair socially, culturally, and spiritually. I'm feeling release with my short hair though. I'm feeling peace. I'm feeling mighty beautiful inside and out.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm glad you were able to reclaim your haircut, i've had to do that many times. so many times i wish they could just cut it and not talk; all the conversation and small talk can be draining in itself, let alone your experience with the hair stylist! of course there are good times :)

4:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i wanna see your cut! :)

9:33 AM  
Blogger pomegranate queen said...

thanks for the comment stacey, so true what you said.

and lin, hahahaa, you'll see it eventually. if i wasn't so damn anonymous on this thing, i'd post a pic. but no can do. :(

1:23 PM  
Blogger Tigera Consciente said...

I always disagreed with India Arie's "I am not my hair" B/C I do think that our bodies can be canvases for what we want to tell the world (and ourselves) about ourselves... and hair, oh man, hair is one of the most sacred ways to tell our personal narratives...

1:04 AM  
Blogger pomegranate queen said...

tigera! wow i missed you girl. so true. so true what you just said. so much we carry in hair. so many stories, energies...

hope you're good.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.