Dec 26, 2006

menses...why do you give me so much trouble?

finally. it's here. my period. it was late...and when it's late, it's bad news for me and those around me. i normally PMS hard, but when it's late, i PMS ferociously. i become a little hyper sensitive, so i'm either on the verge of crying or getting angry at someone. the physical pain is not an issue. in fact, i enjoy my cramps. they are comforting. it's the emotional part that i hate. sometimes i think it'd be great if I could sleep through the pms and wake up when I got the bloody thing (no pun intended).

don't get me wrong. i love my period. after almost a decade of birth control pills controlling my body's natural flow, i was so happy and relieved to get my first post-pill period. it was painfully lovely. cramps. lots of blood. and real. real. real.

but it took a while for my period to "normalize". this meant that i was irregular for a while. i was told i had PCOS (poli-cystic ovarian syndrome) but a stupid (white male) doctor who diagnosed me with it since, according to him, "many Indian and Middle Eastern women" had it, and i'd displayed "some" of the symptoms (i.e. only 2 out of the myriad symptoms). at first, his diagnosis seriously affected me emotionally. he told me there was a chance PCOS led to infertility. needless to say, i was upset. but (due to previous experiences with chump western medicine docs) i decided to call up my homeopath, who gave me a remedy and regularized my period in no time.

for the most part, my period has been regular for some time now. there are the rare occasions when it's late...maybe because of stress, travelling, change in diet, or whatever. but the one thing that's given me trouble has been my pre-menstrual mood swings. i'm already a moody person to begin with, but the hormonal shifts really bring out the bitch in me. i can also become the most hyper sensitive person, and consequently, my insecurities seem to get the best of me at such times. perhaps i need to see the homeopath again. maybe take some remedies. or maybe there are dietary changes, vitamins or herbs i should take throughout the month. speaking of herbs, maybe i need to just smoke some la and chill the f&*k out.

sigh.

whatever. whatever.

maybe i'm not the only chick out there with menses troubles. i'm guessing not.

15 Comments:

Blogger Fabiola said...

Hey PQ, glad to you see posting I was missing ya girl! And count me in as another chick with menses troubles..

1:58 PM  
Blogger been said...

nope, you're not the only one :(. i'm the worst on the first day i start bleeding.

11:17 PM  
Blogger pomegranate queen said...

fab...it's nice to be back again...missed ya too girl...glad to see you've got a new space to share your words...will be checking that out for sure.

12:16 AM  
Blogger pomegranate queen said...

thanks for sharing that Been...ahhh, the first day...me too...sometimes i have to stop and think, damn, this happens every month?!! sigh. it's all good though. i've got a strange love and hate relationship with my period.

12:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

one of the great things about being pregnant is the absence of my period. but then i have to deal with those other unpleasant things like morning sickness, swollen feet, constant urinating. i guess it's a fair trade off.

10:35 AM  
Blogger pomegranate queen said...

dara! i didn't realize you'd switched to wordpress...so glad you left a comment so i have your new blog space now.

congrats on being pregnant...i wish you all the best during this beautiful and also (at times) not-so-pleasant months of your life! :)

will be checking out your blog for sure.

take care,
PQ

ps. i wonder why everyone's switching to wordpress? is it better?

4:26 PM  
Blogger rabfish said...

wow, you're like the 4th person I know who got told they might have PCOS.

periods: yeah. real.

one thing I like about that pre-time is my boobs get bigger.

i don't know why but my cramps got better once i started using the keeper, although they've come back since.

2:28 AM  
Blogger pomegranate queen said...

rabfish,
were the women you know with PCOS, middle eastern or south asian by any chance? i'm curious. because i do know a lot of brown women with PCOS and i'm wondering if that's just a coincidence.

yup. bigger boobs for me too. but also brutally tender and sore.

i can't go the keeper route. i just don't think i can. though i should give it a try...

3:57 AM  
Blogger rabfish said...

hmmm, either middle eastern/ashkenazi or south asian...

11:00 AM  
Blogger skyscraper said...

this is really short; just to say hey basically, and to acknowledge receipt of your precious comment on my pages (or what's left of them).

i'm glad you come back once in a while. so do i. not my page, but my select great friend's pages.

ya, i got disenchanted with a lot of things over the past few months and have been living, breathing, reading and writing quite different stuff. to revive and rejuvinate myself, basically. but also to catch more positive, uplifting, and different moods. and to get away from a lot of old stuff that i've been living with. [many drastic changes in my life, don't ask...]---heart breaks, heart revivals, heart changes, ya know...

thank you for leaving your warm and very intimate words on my art site. your opinion and comments mean a lot to me, girl, as always... as they did from the first time you came to my blog (when i just started). i hope you're well. i guessed you were going thru a lot of metamorphoses in your life too, and that should of course be welcomed and appreciated.

i don't know what exactly you're up to, but i think i can relate.

luv. happy new year. let's keep in touch. how's canada?

sky.

3:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

@PQ--thank you for the congrats, and yes it has been both beautiful and not so pleasant

and about wordpress--i prefer it to blogger but i would say just check it out for yourself.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about your misdiagnosis. Many medical doctors need to learn sensitivity. I am glad you were able to see a homeopath.
Maa Salama

2:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i have had menses trouble for years. and now that i am preggers, i figured that would mean a lovely reprieve. instead i more feel like i had pms 7 months ago and it never ended. i dont feel emotionally over-sensitive just emotionally exhausted constantly. i was in a childbirth class and mentioned that i had pms/menses issues and the whole class tried to 'fix' me. frankly i love my emotional sensitivity because i feel that being a brown woman requires me to be so tough in this world that i am happy that there is a mechanism in my body that re-balances all those times i have block out the world in order to survive in the world.

2:57 AM  
Blogger pomegranate queen said...

wow maia,
thank you for your comment. i never thought about it that way....so true.
"being a brown woman requires me to be so touch in this world that i am happy that there is a mechanism in my body that re-balances all those times i have to clock out the world in order to survive in the world."

damn. i'm going to remind myself of this everytime.

thank you.

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get immediate relief for cramps and bloated feeling ! :-)

www.menstrate.com

Riding the Crimson Wave...

1:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.