May 10, 2006

Bless the Sufi poets and their words...

Mowlana Jalaledin Mohammad Balkhi (known to the western world as Rumi) is one of the poets of my language whose words I feel with a particular intensity. With just a few words, in the most succinct manner, he reminds you of what you need to strive towards understanding in life.

...embracing Truth, Love, and letting go.

Here are his words (of course not in the beauty of the original language, Farsi)

The fire of Love blazed in my heart
and consumed everything.
My books, my erudition and my mind
I put away on a shelf.
Now I only write poems.

6 Comments:

Blogger rabfish said...

very nice, very nice

11:40 AM  
Blogger skyscraper said...

i love its simplicity and beauty

12:12 PM  
Blogger Blackamazon said...

God I love him

7:51 PM  
Blogger El Mahboob said...

I was given a book of his poems once... I still open it up and feel passion expressed in the way only Rumi can. One becomes "the beloved".

4:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this, and I love Hafiz.

4:51 PM  
Blogger pomegranate queen said...

I definitely love Mowlana's words and wisdom, but Hafiz is incredible too. (In my opinion) his poetry is slightly more dense and difficult to grasp...i'm reading up on him and his poetry right now (mainly English books tho)..but i'm hoping to sit down with an elder or maybe my mom and go over his poetry in depth.

my grandfather (god bless his soul) used to read me Hafiz, Saadi, Khayam, etc. when I was younger and I was so not interested...now i'm wishing he was here to pass on his wisdom and knowledge of the poetry...

For those of you that don't know Farsi, I really wish you could read these poems in their original language...the meaning of the words, even the script, it's so much more intense and beautiful in Farsi, the translations don't do it justice (altho some are better than others)

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.