Mar 9, 2006

Do's, Do Not's and Donuts

I've been listening to the latest Jay Dee (Dilla) album, Donuts, and it's got me thinking about so many things. Maybe there's already a lot on my mind or maybe the sounds are triggering thoughts. Or maybe the fact that this inspirational artist has recently passed away has affected me on a deeper level than I'd thought...don't know. The album is beautiful. I've been trying to come up with a word more descriptive than "beautiful" - something that captures the raw smoothness of the beats, the depth of the sounds which are at times pleasant yet dissonant, unique yet familiar, and the rushed yet laid-back pace of the tracks, the complex simplicity of the whole thing...maybe this album is what I'd call "incongruously perfect."
Or maybe it's just what it is...and there's no need to describe it. Only to experience it and just feel it.

Life's been rather intense over the last little while. I don't mean this in a bad way, but I've been hitting all kinds of emotions. Although I should feel somewhat drained, I couldn't feel more refreshed. I couldn't feel more alive. I've been thinking about all this - though I've been told, by many, that I "think too much." But I get caught up in my thoughts. Lately, there are thoughts that I shouldn't be having, things that I shouldn't be doing and feelings I shouldn't be having. Too many don'ts and not enough do's.

So I'm here listening to Donuts and thinking, when I should be listening to Donuts and just being.

Too many Do's, too many Do Not's and not enough Donuts.

But those damn thoughts...

they linger still.

2 Comments:

Blogger El Mahboob said...

Here's to J Dilla, and to PQ for just *being*

1:33 PM  
Blogger pomegranate queen said...

thanks kalimba! :)

3:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Licence.